The Greater Nanaimo Cycling Coalition has been working in the community for 18 years with the help of dedicated volunteers. Over the years new faces have come and gone helping with courses, a booth at an event or with the administration and committees of our great organization.
Since our expansion from advocacy into education, developing maps, courses and advising the business community and the city of Nanaimo on cyclists needs, we have a bigger need for people's involvement. Here are some of the opportunities to be involved:
Our volunteers are the liveblood of our organization -- the gears that help drive us forward to success. We need your help to build a safe, bicycle-friendly Greater Nanaimo!
If you're reading this, you too are interested in improving cycling infrastructure and opportunities in our community.
- Attending public open houses, meetings, and hearings to speak out for policy changes and infrastructure improvements benefitting cyclists
- Sending letters and e-mail messages to elected officials and local goverment staff
- Helping at events--represent GNCC at our table (handing out brochures, selling our bike maps, collecting membership payments and donations)
- Joining one of our committees (Advocacy, Fundraising and Grants, or Communications)
- Helping with bicycle safety education presentations to elementary school students
- Counting bicycle traffic and interviewing riders during our bicycle traffic counts
- Volunteer and provide a watchful eye and safe assurance to many bicyclists at bicycle valet parking at a number of events such as festivals, concerts, and sporting events!
- Ask your employer to adopt some bike-friendly practices at your place of work, such as installing a bike rack and providing a shower
- Sharing your skills in accounting, legal matters, fundraising, grants, graphic design, website design and maintenance, social media, media relations, photography, etc.
- Serving on our Board of Directors